winged

Daphne (Winged Reviews)

Book blogger & twitter-er. Loves God, pretty dresses, teatime and fictional princes. Yes, I do live in the 21st Century. Winged Reviews is where I'm at.

Sister Assassin (Sister Assassin, #1) - Kiersten White 4.5 Stars, originally published at Winged Reviews

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book because I thoroughly enjoyed Kiersten White’s debut Paranormalcy series. I purposely kept my knowledge of the book vague, but given both titles Sister Assassin in the UK and Mind Games in the US, I was generally expecting kick-ass sisters with cool mind powers. Instead I got so much more. The story was heart-pounding, dark action with an abundance of humanity.

I just loved it. It’s told from the alternating point of view of orphaned sisters Fia and Annie, both of whom currently reside an institution for ‘special’ girls. Annie, the elder sister is blind, but has visions of things to come. I thought it was really poetic that the only time Annie knows what anything looks like is through her visions. Fia on the other hand, has perfect instincts—she instinctively picks the right horse to win the race, or knows which direction to turn to avoid an accident.

It starts off with a bang, when Fia is sent on an assignment to assassinate someone. It then moves between Fia and Annie’s past and present until you get to the intense and pretty awesome climax ending. I loved how even though the plot was fast-paced and exciting, it slowed down through the shifting timelines, which revealed wonderful little moments in the past. Reading about when the girls lost their parents or Fia’s first kill made my heart ache for them and really helped me understand their motives.

I found both sisters’ voices to be very distinct. I absolutely fell into Fia’s erratic, somewhat careless and harried way of thinking as much as I fell into Annie’s more descriptive, thoughtful, sometimes anguished narrative. Both girls have their moments of pettiness and frustrations, but at the heart of most of their actions is the need to take care of each other—Annie, because she’s the older sister and Fia, because of Annie’s disability. At the end, my heart broke for Fia and Annie’s impossible situation and absolute care for each other.

There were some boys in their lives, namely the sweet genius Adam and anti-villian James, and numerous other peripheral characters and great big organisations. I’m almost sure there was a conspiracy theory in there somewhere, as well as a plot to bring down the man. I think I will care so much more about all of that when I read the sequel, and believe me, the potential of this series is phenomenal. But as for this book, the first in the series, everyone should relish it for the wonderful story about Annie and Fia and their inspiring sisterly love (ok, and maybe a few kick-ass moments).