winged

Daphne (Winged Reviews)

Book blogger & twitter-er. Loves God, pretty dresses, teatime and fictional princes. Yes, I do live in the 21st Century. Winged Reviews is where I'm at.

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) - Aimee Carter Originally published at Winged Reviews.

I was disappointed in the first book of the series, The Goddess Test mainly because of the weak plot. I was drawn in with the ‘trials’ and expected more from them. This time, I was hopeful that it would be better, especially since I’m a big fan of mythology and there are so many rich stories to draw inspiration from, but alas. I was disappointed again, but for an entirely different reason.

After taking 6 months off to spend the summer in Greece following the events of the last book, Kate comes home to the Underworld for the first time to take her place as Henry’s wife and queen. What she finds is a distant Henry, curiously bleeding. Things get a little more exciting as the story is based around the awakening of the Titan Cronos by Calliope, who was shunned by the Kate, Henry and the other Gods and seeks her revenge.

Naturally, Kate makes it all about her. Kate is absolutely my biggest issue with this book—I have never met a more frustrating heroine! She’s been in the Underworld for all of a day and she’s already complaining about Henry’s lack of attention and affection, where I felt that Henry was actually being mature and protecting her. Kate is so emotionally unstable and needy and it makes her really unlikable. “What you want should never dictate what you do.”, Henry quotes. Maybe I’m showing my age but I think this is a good lesson in maturity, Kate. Maybe next time you don’t leave the man you supposedly love after a day of hardship?

After the anti-climatic mid-climax where Henry and some of the other Gods are captured by Cronos, Kate then journeys with James and Ava to seek Persephone's help, the only individual who knows where to find them. Kate percieves Persephone as selfish and manipulative, and cannot stop being jealous of her and it clouds her judgement. It is a little unfair on Persephone as she has had to endure thousands of years in a loveless marriage and it's not her fault Henry loved her and not the other way around. I seriously just wanted to yell, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF to Kate. The only redeeming thing about the whole 'quest' was the banter between Ava and Persephone.

In the end, Kate is fatalistic, the battle is pointless and Henry makes a complete 180 and showers her with love and affection. There is a shocking but predictable (don’t ask me, it just is) cliffhanger at the end, which will probably hook me into reading the final book. All in all, I expected so much more, given the potential of the world Aimee Carter built. If you like frustratingly weak female protagonists, then you’ll enjoy this book better than me.