winged

Daphne (Winged Reviews)

Book blogger & twitter-er. Loves God, pretty dresses, teatime and fictional princes. Yes, I do live in the 21st Century. Winged Reviews is where I'm at.

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold To be honest, in the beginning I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I was excited by the prospect of Susie's family attempting to solve her murder, because the point of view of the murder victim is an extremely clever plot device and it had so much potential. However, when that story line died down, I found myself actually being angry at what the book chose to focus on--an incredibly frustrating mother character, with absolutely no redeeming qualities, a father with seemingly no backbone, a psychotic murderer that actually gets away with it, and a completely two-dimensional younger brother. Lindsay, with her determination, genius and fully evolved relationship was the only one to show a spark of character and growth

Truly, the only part of the book that redeemed it for me was Susie's experience with Ray towards the end. I thought that scene was heart-warming, well written and beautifully conceptualised.

It had so much promise as a murder mystery, but quickly turned into a window in the life of an extremely boring family.