winged

Daphne (Winged Reviews)

Book blogger & twitter-er. Loves God, pretty dresses, teatime and fictional princes. Yes, I do live in the 21st Century. Winged Reviews is where I'm at.

Room - Emma Donoghue Room is a story told from the point of view of a young boy who just turned 5 about his life in 'Room', the only world he knows. The book is best read knowing as little as possible, because part of the beauty of it is the unfolding of the story through Jack's eyes.

The book is split into five parts (being Jack's favourite number), and the story peaks like a mountain. The first part is tedious and hard to get through. Jack's thoughts, and subsequently the voice of the book, is muddled and rambly. I found his wider perception interesting (such as thinking that everything that wasn't in Room was TV, and that the Moon was God's face), but his life, as you can imagine, is repetitive. It was hard to be interested every little detail, such as a spiderweb under Table, or what he ate for breakfast.

As the story progresses, and Jack and his Ma aim to get out of the unfortunate situation that they are in, it becomes decidedly more exciting. As Jack faces new people, environments and situations, it's really intriguing to watch his point of view expand. He is a curious, careful, smart boy and you end up empathising with him through his ordeal. Somehow though, the transition, both physically and emotionally from 'Room' to 'Outside' seemed all of a sudden too easy.

The story does dip right at the end, as we again are privy to Jack and Ma's routine life outside 'Room'. Right at the very end, however, is a poignant moment of reflection and courage, which wrapped up the book nicely.

All in all, the book took a while to settle into, but in the end it was a refreshing and unique read. I'm torn between admiring the clever concept and being frustrated with the style it was written in. The book has been highly rated and recommended, but after reading it, I don't think all the hype was justified.