winged

Daphne (Winged Reviews)

Book blogger & twitter-er. Loves God, pretty dresses, teatime and fictional princes. Yes, I do live in the 21st Century. Winged Reviews is where I'm at.

A Discovery of Witches  - Deborah Harkness A proper review to come. I enjoyed the book and I'm giving it 3 and a half stars. It was a well-written, well-paced read with a lot of interesting history and science mixed into the usual supernatural fare. It sets up a lot of plots in the 40 day span of the book, which I am eager to see resolved. It was unusual but delightful to read about ancient alchemical texts in the same book as DNA analysis. It almost jumped genres, one minute reading like a vampire romance, then a conspiracy thriller, then a non-fiction history text, but this kept the book interesting for me.

What I was disappointed by is that I thought this was a stand alone book, and it turns out to be the first of a trilogy. This is something I wish the book itself would acknowledge (I only found out here on Goodreads), because I kept reading eager for a conclusion to find that the events at the end are really only there to set up for a second book. Granted that the premise and setting of the second book fascinate me, I wish I had been warned!